Ooyala & Piano
Create an Ooyala account
In order to use the Ooyala integration with Piano, you’ll need to register for an Ooyala Backlot account.
Upload video content to Ooyala
Log in to your Ooyala Backlot account and click on “Add New Content” in the navigation bar at the top of the page. Select “Video” and upload your file from your computer.
Add domain restrictions to your video player
Once your video is uploaded, click the “Publish” tab on the top of the page, and then select “Syndication Controls” from the sub-navigation bar near the top of the page. Select a Syndication Group in the left pane.
Select the “Domain Controls” checkbox and choose “Users can embed content on” from the dropdown menu that appears. Add “https://play.tinypass.com” in the text field, then click “Add Domain” to populate the list. This domain restriction will prevent people from taking your paid content and showing it for free somewhere else! (If you are testing in Piano’s Sandbox environment, instead add “http://sandbox.tinypass.com” in the Domain Restrictions field.)
Find your API keys
After you’ve set up domain restrictions, click on the “Account” tab at the top of your Ooyala dashboard, and then select the “Developers” sub-tab. Under the header “API V2,” you’ll see a line for “API Key” and “API Secret.” Copy down both of these values – you’ll need them in the next step.
Connect to Ooyala from your Piano account
Log in to your Piano account. You’ll be asked for your Ooyala API Key and API Secret in the pop-up box that appears to connect your account.
Once the Piano system has validated your API Key and your API Secret, it will show a screen with all of the videos from your Ooyala account. Select any video you want to restrict and click “Next.”
Your Ooyala preview image will appear on the next screen. Crop the image to your liking, or upload another image to use instead. Select “Crop and continue” to proceed.
The next screen allows you to modify certain details about your video.
- Title: The title of your video. This will be pre-filled using the details in your Ooyala account. Any change you make here will update the title of the same video in your Ooyala account.
- Description: A short description of your video. This will be pre-filled using the details in your Ooyala account. Any change you make here will update the description of the same video in your Ooyala account.
- Resource ID: This is a unique code used to track and manage your resources. When users purchase access to your video, they are technically purchasing access to the resource with the code you specify in this field. Feel free to keep the resource ID as-is, or change it to any text you want. Note that you cannot have duplicate resource IDs in the same publisher account.
- Width & Height: This is pre-filled from your Ooyala account. Any changes made to this will affect your Piano account only. You can always come back and edit this later.
- Price & Access: You may set the price and currency for your video, and the duration of the customer’s access to your video. A “minimum price” allows customers to contribute more than you are asking them to pay.
Once you’ve finished polishing these details, hit “Publish.” You should see a confirmation popup appear with an option to set up an “All Access” bundle for all of the videos in your Piano account. By setting up an “All Access” bundle, your users will have the option of purchasing access to every video in your account at once. The “All Access” bundle can be set up as a recurring subscription.
To set up your “All Access” bundle now, select “Setup” and follow the steps on that screen. If you’d prefer to set up your “All Access” bundle at a later time, select “Skip.” Your bundle will be in the “disabled” tab on your video manager page and can be enabled at any time.
Publish your video
Once you’ve finished setting up a video, you can click on the video tile in your main video manager page to edit the title, description, price, duration and cover image of the video. From here, you can also copy the HTML Embed Code to paste into your site or grab a standalone URL ready for testing. Once you’ve tested it out, please remove your account from trial mode by editing your “Business Profile” and then “Submit for review” before distributing the video for sale.